Winter Trip Course Description
After the initial three-week backpacking course in the summer, it’s important for students to get acquainted with another Wyoming season: winter. The snow and cold of the Rocky Mountains can be intimidating for many people, but winter provides an opportunity to enjoy another chapter of God’s First Book. Winter brings a certain peace, a quiet stillness, and a landscape cleansed by the white snow. It is the perfect setting to continue the development of the imagination and grow in virtue as the students confront new challenges.
This course will immerse students in the winter environment and provide opportunities to develop knowledge and skills necessary for safely enjoying winter in the mountains. The winter course specifically prepares students to plan and lead winter outdoor adventures and to participate in winter field science labs.
Features of this Course:
• 4 days cross-country/backcountry skiing/touring
• 1 day skiing or snowboarding at a ski resort
• 3 day, 2 night backcountry ski tour
• Ski routes 3-5 miles at elevations of 6,900 to 10,500 feet
• Lessons in avalanche safety and terrain evaluation
• Lessons in cross country and downhill ski techniques
• Lessons in winter camping and survival skills
• Lessons in winter hazards, risk management and 1st aid